Old Orchard School Updates | January 28, 2019
This is Mr. Hintz and Mrs. Diamond with some reminders for the week ahead.
- Penny Wars: This is the week the children have been waiting for! Before school and during lunch, coins and bills can be dropped off in containers for each grade in the MPR. The goal is to earn the most points during the week. Every cent is worth a positive or a negative point. PENNIES AND PAPER BILLS COUNT AS (+) FOR THE GRADE. QUARTERS, DIMES AND NICKLES COUNT as (-) for THE GRADE. Therefore, you need to be strategic with the placement of your money. Use the silver to take points away from a grade level. Then use bills and pennies to add points to your grade level.
- LCAP Meeting: On Wednesday, January 29th at 5:00 we will hold an important funding meeting. We are encouraging parents to attend and participate as we make suggestions on how the district can continue to improve our education for our children.
- Spirit Day: Student council is sponsoring a pajama spirit day on Friday. Students and staff can enjoy a relaxing day in their pajamas at school. The classes with the most participation will win the OO Spirit Award!
Old Orchard Elementary’s Career Day is just around the corner. We are looking for family members and friends who are interested in sharing their careers with our students. Our students are always interested in learning about their future opportunities and some of the career choices that await them. If you would like to share your career with our students on Wednesday, February 12th between 8:15a.m.- 10:30a.m., please fill out the portion below and return to the school office by January 31st or email Mrs. Sterowski at email@example.com.
- Newhall School District Open House: Do you know of any families that are interested in attending the Newhall School District in the coming year? If so, the district will hold an informational meeting on January 23rd at Wiley Canyon at 6:30pm. Please pass the word along.
The PTO is proud to present the 2020 Old Orchard Variety Show, "Old Orchard's got Talent!!!". Registration starts after Winter break, so please see the PTO Page for more information and dates!
Family Resource Center: Every member of the Newhall School District believes strongly that empowerment and inspiration are key toour students becoming passionate global citizens who problem solve and embrace diversity. We know that children achieve their greatest potential through collaboration and perseverance.
- It's showtime! It's almost the deadline for this year's variety show registration, and we want to make sure your kids have a chance to join in on the fun! We want to let you know that all students, no matter what age, talent, or skill level, are welcome to perform! Every student or group that auditions will be allowed to perform in the big show! All entry forms and music (if using), are due to the office by THIS FRIDAY, JANUARY 24th! So please go to the office to pick up your packets and turn them back in by Friday. If you have any questions, please contact Arielle Zieja at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks and see you at the show!
Dual Language Immersion Program: Would you like your child to be bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish? If so, we would like to invite you to attend an informational meeting about our Dual Language Immersion Program at Old Orchard Elementary School. There will be three opportunities to attend parent meetings and classroom tours including December 9th at 8:30 am, December 12th at 6:30 pm, and December 16th at 8:30 am. All meetings will be in the Old Orchard Elementary School MPR. Registration for the program will begin in January for Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten. There are also limited openings in first and second grade for fluent Spanish-speaking students. Come find out more about this exciting program and hear from administrators, teachers and parents who are part of the program this year!
- Dual Language Immersion Parent Video (testimonial):
- Dual Language Immersion Parent Video (testimonial)
- Video de Padres del Programa de Doble Inmersión (testimonio)
- Check out our Dual Language Immersion & PBIS Smore.com web page
- 2020-2021 Dual Language Immersion Classes Forming for Grades TK & K please call 661-291-4040
Clases para 2020-2021 se forman para los grados TK y K Cupo limitado para los grados 1 y 2 (SOLO en español) Regístrense para una visita 661-291-4040
District Master Plan:
The Newhall School District is in the beginning stages of building a Master Plan for district wide improvements to our schools. Your feedback and input to this plan will play an important role as the district makes decisions on improvements specifically to the Old Orchard campus. We invite you to join us on January 14th from 6:00-7:00pm in the school's MPR. This will be your time to give input into the plan and to advocate for the Old Orchard campus.
Student Council Spirit Days / Días de Espíritu Escolar del Consejo Estudiantil
This year student council has planned many spirit days and gram sales.
- January 31 - Pajama Day - Día de pijama
- February 28-80's Day - Día de los 80's
- March 27th - Hawaiian Day - Día Hawaiano
- May 1 -Sports/Jersey Day - Día de jersey deportivo
- May 29 - OO Shirt Day - Dia de camiseta de OO
Attached you will find the calendar to help you prepare for these events!
- Please follow Old Orchard on Instagram. There are now 2 ways to follow us:
- PTO’s page: oopto661
- Dual Immersion Program page: oldorchardduallanguage
Understanding the significant economic challenges that many families face, the Newhall School District is
committed to collaborating with parents/guardians by providing wrap around supports to those in need. We
are pleased to announce the opening of two vital resources for family support. Our Family Resource Centers
are designed to provide immediate food and clothing provisions, and serve as a conduit connecting families to
critical community partners, service organizations and government agencies that have resources for short and
The Family Resource Center at McGrath serves families with children who attend McGrath Elementary
School. The Family Resource Center at Wiley Canyon is available to serve families with children who attend
any of the other nine schools across the Newhall School District.
If your family needs support, we are here to help. If your child attends McGrath Elementary or Newhall
Elementary, to arrange an appointment, please contact Jason Busack, Social Worker, at 291-4090. If your
child attends any of the other schools in NSD, to arrange an appointment, please contact the Community
Liaison or School Counselor at your child's school. You may also contact Gina Rodriguez, District Liaison for
the Family Resource Center, at 661-291-4020.
El Centro de Recursos para la Familia: Cada miembro del Distrito Escolar de Newhall cree firmemente que el empoderamiento y la inspiración son
clave para que nuestros estudiantes sean ciudadanos apasionados del mundo que resuelven problemas y
adoptan la diversidad. Sabemos que los niños alcanzan su mayor potencial a través de la colaboración y la
Al comprender los importantes desafíos económicos que enfrentan muchas familias, el Distrito Escolar de
Newhall se compromete a colaborar con los padres / tutores para brindar apoyo integral a los necesitados.
Nos complace anunciar la apertura de dos recursos vitales para el apoyo familiar. Nuestros Centros de
recursos familiares están diseñados para proporcionar provisiones inmediatas de alimentos y ropa, y sirven
como un conducto que conecta a las familias con socios comunitarios críticos, organizaciones de servicio y
agencias gubernamentales que tienen recursos para proporcionar el apoyo necesario a corto y largo plazo.
El Centro de Recursos para la Familia en McGrath sirve a familias con niños que asisten a la Escuela
Primaria McGrath. El Centro de Recursos para la Familia en Wiley Canyon está disponible para atender a
familias con niños que asisten a cualquiera de las otras nueve escuelas en todo el Distrito Escolar de
Si su familia necesita apoyo, estamos aquí para ayudarlo. Si su hijo asiste a McGrath Elementary o Newhall
Elementary, para concertar una cit, communiquese con Jason Busack, al 291-4090. Si Su hijo asiste a alguna
de las otras escuelas en NSD, para concertar una cita comuníquese con el enlace comunitario o el consejero
escolar de la escuela de su hijo. También puede comunicarse con la señora Gina Rodríguez, la Enlace del
Distrito para el Centro de Recursos Familiares, al 661-291-4020.
Important Safety Items: We are asking for your help at arrival and dismissal in order to maintain safety and keep the flow of traffic moving. We are asking that you take note of these important safety items.
- The staff parking lot is closed to student drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon. Only staff may enter the parking lot. We have seen parents pull in and go out the reverse way causing a dangerous situation at the entrance of our parking lot.
- Families need to use the crosswalk at the East and West end of the school along Avenida Rondel. Please do not walk your child or signal a child to walk across the street at arrival or dismissal. This is a dangerous situation that is putting our children at risk, and it does not reinforce good traffic safety habits for our children.
- Drivers should always be aware of the rules of traffic. Your assistance is greatly appreciated in avoiding these traffic violations.
- Do not make U-Turns in front of school or along the valet line up
- Do not double park on the streets
- Do not park in red zones
- Do not park in our neighbor’s driveways
- Do not block our neighbor’s driveways
For easy access to school, there is parking on Lyons Ave. and our back gate is open 7:30-7:55 am for arrival and open again at 2:40 for dismissal. Supervision is available on campus starting at 7:30 AM. We also have a morning valet with staff to assist with drop off. By using valet, you will help keep our children and the community safe. I hope by sending you this reminder that we are not offending you, because we do want parents and community members to feel welcome at our school; however, we also want to ensure that all children enter and leave the school safely. I know that by working together we can help you plan ahead when picking up and dropping off your children.
The Newhall school district has a variety of open job positions at the moment. If you are looking for part time or full time work you might want to check out the NSD Job Opportunities (2020 List).
Message from Jeff Pelzel, Superintendent: Each month I will be holding a monthly “Superintendent Chat” session for parents to have an opportunity to hear about what is going on in the District at that time, what is coming in the months ahead, share feedback on programs, and to ask questions. This year I am going to hold these sessions at school sites throughout the year. All parents from any school are encouraged to attend, even if the meeting is not at your home school. My goal is to continue to foster open lines of communication and build partnerships with families across the Newhall School District.
PEAK After School Enrichment (Winter 2019 Schedule):
PEAK Adventures will be offering after school programs at Old Orchard during November and December. Classes include Reindeer Games STEM Activities, Holiday Crafts, Holiday Lego Build, and Holiday Cupcakes and Cookies! The attached flyer has all the information you will need with dates, times, and class descriptions! Sign up now before classes fill up!
2018-19 CAASPP TESTING - Recently, Newhall School District students in grades three through six participated in the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP). In addition, English learner students in all grades took the summative English Language Proficiency Test. Student Score Reports from this state testing are now starting to be posted and are being released in waves. You can access your child’s results electronically through the parent portal on our student information system, Aeries. If you are unable to access your student’s Score Report through the online parent portal, you may contact your school’s office for assistance.
Space is limited for Peak Adventure's Old Orchard After School Enrollment. Spots are filling up quickly as we have a limited availability next year. We are excited to have you join us this year, but we can't enroll everybody so we need your help to get your child secured to Adventure in our After School Program. Please click on the link below and add the Registration Fee + First Months payment to secure a spot in our Program for the 2019-2020 school year. https://www.peak-adventure.com/old-orchard-registration
- PEAK Adventure Daycare Program: Starting next year Peak Adventure will be hosting a before and after school daycare program on the Old Orchard campus. Peak’s program will include things like: STEM activities, iPads for all children, homework support, outdoor play, nutritious snacks, and developing friendships. Please check out the attached flyer for more details.
- After School PEAK Enrichment: After spring break PEAK Enrichment will be offering after school enrichment classes. This is a great opportunity for your children to experience some fun classes with their friends. PEAK will be offering classes like: Crazy Chemistry, Cupcake Design, Lego Science, Marine Biology, and Survivor STEM Challenge. Please check out the flyer for prices and more detailed information.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION & FILES:
If you have questions regarding the Uniform Complain Procedures, please contact the Education Equity UCP Office by e-mail at email@example.com.